In March of 1957, the 3500 GT was shown to the public at the Geneva Motor Show. Two prototypes were shown; one was designed by Touring and the other by Allemano. The Touring design was a 2+2 coupe, which was later selected by Omer Orsi selected for production. There were minor modifications of the production design. The headlamps, radiator grille, and the dashboard were slightly modified but remained mostly unchanged.
Over the Maserati 3500 GT’s production lifespan, many improvements were made. In 1960, front disc brakes became standard; also this year the four-speed manual gear was replaced by a ZF five-speed transmission. In 1961, disc brakes became standard on all four corners. In 1962 the engine was matted to a Lucas Fuel Injection system which increased horsepower by 15.
Under the hood was a 3.5 liter DOHC inline-six cylinder power-plant equipped with three side-draft two-barrel carburetors achieving 240 horsepower. The engine was an evolution of the Tipo 250F Formula 1 car. Top speed with the 3500 GT was achieved at 145 mph.